Sometimes you just want something doughy, sweet, and decadent—like cinnamon rolls. But even if you aren’t following a specific diet, you know they likely won’t fit into your plan. And if you’re vegan, gluten-free, etc., then it’s even less likely you’ll be able to find something to serve up, delight your taste buds, and still be a part of a healthy diet.
We get you. That’s why we did some digging to find a truly decadent recipe that’s easy to make yet oh so sweet and decadent. It’s lower in sugar, has added protein, is vegan, and is easy to make gluten-free if that suits your dietary needs. But even if you’re none of the above and just want a delicious cinnamon roll, these won’t leave you disappointed. Go ahead and serve this awesome vegan cinnamon roll recipe up—your friends and family won’t even know you switched things up for a healthier version.
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- vegan butter to coat the foil pan
- 2 cups room temperature almond milk
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 5 cups whole-grain flour, divided
- 2 scoops BioTrust Vanilla Caramel Harvest Complete Vegan Plant Protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar substitute (such as erythritol brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp BioTrust Harvest Complete Vegan Plant Protein Powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- stevia to taste
- Generously rub two pie pans with vegan butter (to prevent sticking).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, melted vegan butter, and sugar. Ensure the mixture is warm (between 100 – 110°F). If it is warmer than that, allow to cool slightly to help the yeast do its job.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for one minute.
- Add 5 cups flour, vegan protein powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to allow the dough to rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- After one hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size.
- Remove the towel and add an additional ½ cup (95 g) of flour and salt. Stir well, then turn out
onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its
stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out until it’s about ½-inch thick in a large rectangle.
- Spread the softened vegan butter evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar substitute and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough until it forms a log. Then pinch the seam until it’s closed. Place seam-side down, and trim to make even on both ends.
- Cut the log in the center, and divide each half into seven evenly sized pieces that are about 1½ inches thick.
- Place seven cinnamon rolls in each pie pan. Start with one in the center, surrounded by six around the sides. Cover and place in a warm place and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine ingredients for icing and stir until smooth.
- Remove cover from cinnamon rolls. Bake the rolls in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25 – 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool a bit.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with icing.
Chef Note: If you want to make this vegan cinnamon roll recipe gluten-free, try Juli’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend for a simple, delicious, whole-grain all-purpose flour.
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Nutrition Facts:
- Calories: 334
- Total Fat: 18 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 47 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Protein: 8.4 g