3 Healthy Grilling Recipes Perfect For Memorial Day
Memorial Day Weekend is a day when those who died in active military service are remembered, traditionally observed on May 30 but now officially observed on the last Monday in May.
With such an important holiday to celebrate combined with a three-day weekend, what better time to host a gathering? Plus, it’s one that includes staying in and cooking our dinner instead of dining out.
To me, this is already a step in the right direction, especially if you’re really focusing on eating healthier. I mean, there’s no better way to know exactly what’s going into the food you’re eating than by making it yourself, amiright?
While grills across America will be fired up and stacked with burgers and dogs—along with enough potato and macaroni salad to sink a small ship—why not take your backyard party to a whole new level and switch things up with some healthy grilling recipes like… shish-kebabs?
What’s more, social distancing is still important, and what’s better for keeping your hands to yourself than having your whole meal on an individual skewer? Add a few twists to your favorite sides, and even if your gathering is smaller than usual, you’ll barely remember you have been stuck inside for weeks… or more likely, months.
3 Healthy Grilling Recipes
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Slice each ingredient in bite-sized pieces.
- Layer each ingredient one at a time onto a skewer.
- Place on the grill over medium-high heat.
- Rotate to cook evenly.
Chef Notes: I didn’t put exact measurements of each ingredient here because it’s based on how many people will be consuming this healthy grilling recipe. I generally count on two to three shish-kebabs per person, and I try to add one to two solid protein sources along with two to three vegetables.
Steak Shish-Kebabs Nutrition Facts:
Per 2 to 3 shish-kebabs
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 12 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 13 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 21 g
Chef Notes: If you prefer chicken, a great combo with this is pineapple. You can even add banana peppers or red peppers and toss it with some teriyaki. Yum!
Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1⁄8″-thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup grated Gruyere
- Fresh chopped rosemary for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to help prevent lumps from forming.
- Simmer for five minutes until it begins to thicken to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add cheese and season with nutmeg.
- Lay potatoes in a single layer and top with cheese mixture. Repeat.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for about 20 minutes, until the surface of the gratin is nicely browned all over.
Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 155
- Total Fat: 7 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 17.5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5.25 g
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, cut into thin strips
- Pickled jalapeños
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix mustard, Greek yogurt, and vinegar in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine cabbages, carrots, jalapeños, and dressing in a large bowl.
- Toss so that everything is evenly coated.
Chef Note: You can use red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or even apple cider vinegar.
Chef Note: I used a locally sourced sweet and sour pickled jalapeno for this particular recipe, and it was amazing. Unless you are local to Coastal Carolina, regular pickled jalapenos are perfect!
Chef Note: I also had some Grey Poupon (bougie, I know) and decided to use this instead of standard Dijon mustard to add a little bit of extra texture. You can also add fennel seeds if you have them on hand.
Chef Note: I think this recipe tastes much better when prepared ahead of time so the flavors have time to marry.
No-Mayo Coleslaw Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 79
- Total Fat: 4 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 10 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 2 g