The end of the year is filled with back-to-back, often overlapping holidays. You know those people who already have Christmas decorations up before taking down the scarecrow and pumpkins? I see you. If you don’t think “pumpkin spice everything” season is long enough, you can have the best of both worlds by combining our Pumpkin Spice Protein Blend with my favorite gingerbread recipe and have the best of both worlds.
You could make this into a loaf like traditional gingerbread, or you could make individual muffins. I like to make muffins as they are easier to transport and are single servings. Who can argue with a perfectly portioned sweet treat?
Pumpkin Spice Gingerbread Muffins Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ to 1 can of pumpkin*
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup BioTRUST® Pumpkin Spice Low Carb Protein (Vanilla Low Carb works too)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or use cupcake liners for muffins.
- Combine the wet ingredients—sugar, oil, applesauce, and eggs—and beat until smooth.
- Add water and pumpkin puree until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and protein powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour into your prepared pan or add evenly to your muffin tin.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
Chef Notes: I have made these with both a ½ can and a full can of pumpkin. If you are a fan of moist muffins (like me), then use the full can, but if you prefer a denser muffin (like my mom)—think traditional gingerbread—then use only ½ of the can of pumpkin.
Chef Notes: I like to make a maple glaze to drizzle on top of each muffin using Swerve Confectioner’s Sugar, water, and maple extract. If the Swerve line of sweeteners is new to you, please do yourself a favor and check them out before you begin your holiday baking. Your taste buds and waistline will thank you!
Pumpkin Spice Gingerbread Muffins Nutrition Facts:
- Calories: 188
- Total Fat: 18 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 31 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4.4 g