Is Keto Dangerous? Jillian Michaels has an opinion (and so do we) – BioTrust Radio #30
Endorsed by celebrities, athletes, biohackers — even being tabbed as the Silicon Valley diet — keto is sweeping the globe. Yet, it’s met with staunch opposition from many outspoken critics who say it’s just a fad and question its long-term safety. If you want to cut through all the noise — on BOTH sides of the keto fence — then this is a must-listen episode of BioTrust Radio featuring Dr. Ryan Lowery. Is it a miracle diet that everyone should be following? Is keto dangerous? Tune in to find out!
Ways to Listen:
Or Listen Here (press play below):
- Listen to it on iTunes or Stitcher.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save as.”
- Read the Podcast Transcript
Recently, Jillian Michaels’ keto opinion has gotten a ton of attention, as the celebrity trainer urged folks that keto is just another “diet fad,” expressing concerns about the long-term safety. We know that many in the BioTrust Tribe live a ketogenic lifestyle, and that’s why, we had to call on our good friend and keto expert Dr. Ryan Lowery to discuss all things keto. Dr. Lowery will not only tackle the question “Is keto dangerous?” head-on, he’ll cover a TON more. Here’s what you can expect to learn in this fast-packed, action-packed, entertaining episode of BioTrust Radio:
- Is keto dangerous? Is it safe to be on long-term? Can someone be on the ketogenic diet for life?
- Jillian Michaels’ keto opinion is just one example of extremism, which takes place on both sides of the keto fence. How can you clear through all the noise? What should you believe? Who should you listen to?
- What role do supplements, such as exogenous ketones, MCT oil, and MCT powder, play in a keto diet? Is keto dangerous when you rely too heavily on them? What is Dr. Lowery’s favorite keto supplement?
- What is Dr. Lowery’s FAVORITE keto meal? What are his TWO favorite keto foods? What are some of his other top keto foods? What does Ryan like to eat for his cheat meal?
- Should you track your ketones and blood glucose levels? When is measuring blood ketones important?
- Is keto dangerous because it leads to muscle loss? Or, does keto — and ketones themselves — actually help preserve lean muscle?
- Can you get away with eating more carbs on a keto diet if you have more muscle? What’s the single-most important thing you can do after you eat carbs?
- What inspired Dr. Lowery to co-author The Ketogenic Bible? What is the inspiration behind Ketogenic.com?
- What is the connection between the ketogenic diet and cancer? Is keto dangerous when it comes to cancer? Or, is the opposite true — does the ketogenic diet work as a therapy for cancer?
- What is the WORST advice you can give someone who’s trying to lose weight? Why is the keto diet so darn effective when it comes to weight loss?
- What does a day in the life of Ryan look like? How does Dr. Lowery practice a keto lifestyle?
- How much keto junk food is okay? How much is too much? Does it make keto dangerous when you eat too much keto junk food? What are some of Ryan’s favorite keto junk foods?
- What are some keto foods to watch for? What’s the deal with net carbs and keto?
- What does it mean to Make Positivity Louder?
- And much, MUCH more!
Guest Bio: Ryan P. Lowery, a 2014 national champion baseball player, earned his BS and MS in exercise physiology and exercise and nutrition science from the University of Tampa. Ryan is currently the President of the Applied Science and Performance Institute, and he recently earned his PhD in Health and Human Performance. Over his career, Ryan has published over 100 papers, abstracts, and book chapters on human performance and sports nutrition and is rapidly becoming one of the premier sport scientists in the nation. Ryan has received awards for the Exercise Science Scholar of the Year, NSCA’s Outstanding Presentation of the year, and most recently, the National Exercise Science Major of the Year. When it comes to the ketogenic diet, Ryan literally wrote the book (The Ketogenic Bible) along with his mentor and business partner Dr. Jacob Wilson. #MakePositivityLouder
If you enjoyed this episode with Ryan Lowery on the benefits of the Keto diet, check out our Keto Diet mega episode at BioTrustRadio.com/Keto!
Enjoy the show? Please leave a 5-star review on iTunes or Stitcher.
Don’t miss an episode of BioTrust Radio! Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher.
Join our Private Facebook VIP Coaching & Inner Circle Community
Have a comment or question on this episode? Comment below.
And remember… you’re just one decision away from better health
Resources from This Episode:
- Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis
- Applied Science and Performance Institute (ASPI)
- Follow Dr. Lowery on Instagram
- IC-5 Keto Boosting Supplement
- D’Lites Keto Ice Cream
- Nui Keto Cookies
- Dom D’Agostino
- Thomas Seyfried
- Angela Poff
- Jeff Volek
- “Tripping Over the Truth” by Dr. Travis Kristofferson
- Robb Wolf
- The ABCs of the Keto Diet: Avocados, Bacon, Coconut oil, and beyond! [BioTrust Radio #28]
- Paleo vs Keto Face Off: Which Diet is Better For You? [BioTrust Radio #26]
- Is Keto Dangerous? Get All the Facts Here… [BioTrust Blog]