Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe (a family favorite)
Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or just looking for a break from dairy, there is nothing better than the comfort of a smooth, silky, creamy bowl of “cheesy”-goodness like that of a homemade macaroni and cheese.
And before you say hold up, Coach Cristina? How can a vegan macaroni (i.e., sans dairy) be cheesy? That is the magic of combining healthful ingredients—you can create a flavor combination similar to those in your favorite foods—without compromising your dietary needs or beliefs.
Don’t believe me about vegan mac and cheese? Just watch!
Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 box macaroni (I am old school and prefer elbow)
- ½ cup vegan butter (I prefer Smart Balance)
- 4 Tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 Tbsp Ageless Multi-Collagen
- Three 14-oz cans coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni according to directions, drain, and set aside.
- Melt butter on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add flour and Ageless Multi-Collagen and whisk until incorporated.
- Add coconut milk and continue to whisk until all lumps are gone.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients (minus the pasta), and whisk until everything is combined.
- Add cooked macaroni to sauce and stir until pasta is covered.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes in an oven set at 400 degrees F.
Chef Notes: If you would like to add breadcrumbs to the vegan mac and cheese recipe before baking, you can either use panko or toast bread and crumble atop. If you would like a more buttery flavor to your breadcrumbs, you may stir with 1 Tbsp of melted butter before sprinkling on top.
Chef Notes: You could also swap out the Ageless Multi-Collagen with Keto Elevate. If you would like to opt for a supplement-free dish, you can simply add 2 additional Tablespoons of flour in lieu of a product.
Yields 8 servings
- Calories: 670
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbs: 101 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 26 g