For anyone following “keto” or any lower carb diet who has a sweet tooth, it is always a treat when you can have your cake and eat it too. But what if you are like me and you would prefer to have your pasta and eat it too? While there are many noodles that claim to be keto-friendly out there, how many of them can we actually say fit the bill for delivering the right bang for your macro buck? I am still searching.
Enter the cauliflower mac and cheese.
Cauliflower has become the go-to vegetable for all our low-carb-related needs, and I am definitely on board with using it as a vehicle for all the cheese. Much in the same way that when I make zoodles (zucchini noodles) and add a tomato-based sauce, I can hardly tell that it’s not traditional spaghetti noodles, the following cauliflower mac and cheese recipe has convinced me I am eating a homemade macaroni and cheese with actual noodles.
Don’t believe me? Just watch!
Keto-Friendly Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 2 large heads of cauliflower
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt (plus more, to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (plus more, to taste)
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 scoop of BioTrust Ageless Multi-Collagen Protein Powder™
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 block (8 oz) of cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the cauliflower heads into bite-size pieces and steam for 5 to 7 minutes until they are crisp and tender.
- Strain the cauliflower and place in a 9” x 13” (3-quart) baking dish, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add heavy whipping cream and bring it to a simmering boil.
- Whisk in granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, BioTrust Ageless Multi-Collagen Protein Powder™, and xanthan gum.
- Add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Then add cheddar cheese and finally mozzarella cheese, and stir until cheese sauce thickens.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the cauliflower in the baking dish, and stir to coat the cauliflower in the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the cauliflower.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is browned on top and bubbly. For a more browned appearance, cook under the broiler for a couple minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious cauliflower mac and cheese!
- Calories: 271
- Total Fat: 24 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 7 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 10 g