Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe (so tasty)
Being a huge fan of the set it and forget it cooking method of using a slow cooker, this pork stuffed sweet potato recipe was a no brainer. I love that you can essentially place your ingredients into this appliance and set it on low for eight hours, which is money if you are working outside of the home or need to run some errands.
The beauty of not having to worry about constantly checking on it is a game changer. I also love that you can speed up this process and cut the cooking time literally in half simply by setting it on high for four hours.
Being one of the healthiest cuts of pork, the pork loin is a rich source of certain vitamins and minerals your body needs to function, like iron and zinc. It’s also an excellent source of high-quality protein. Paired with a homemade BBQ sauce and some onions, these flavors come together beautifully.
Per serving, pork tenderloin has 206 calories, 12 grams of fat, 23 grams of protein, and zero carbohydrates.
With sweet potatoes being in season right now, they are the perfect vehicle to transport the tender shredded pork into your mouth. Half of a sweet potato has just 55 calories, less than .1 gram of fat, 2 grams of protein, and 13 grams of carbohydrates. Since this sweet potato recipe has a good portion of the flesh removed, this would just be a rough estimate of the nutrition information.
Be sure to keep the skins on as the potato skin has more nutrients than the interior of the potato. It has lots of fiber, and about half of a medium potato’s fiber is from the skin.
Something that always pairs well with BBQ is coleslaw. Rather than add coleslaw to this recipe, I decided to go with a purple cabbage and carrot blend with just a hint of vinegar. I didn’t want the vinegar to overpower the whole dish. Rather, I wanted the BBQ to be the stand-out star of the show. But this addition gives such a nice tangy, crunchy twist that it really helps the BBQ shine.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 pork loin
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- green onion for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pork loin, sliced onion, and BBQ sauce together in crockpot (slow cooker) on high for four hours (or on low for eight hours).
- Cook sweet potatoes in oven (or microwave) until fork tender.
- Once cooled, slice in half and gently remove some of the flesh with a spoon. Set aside.
- Toss shredded cabbage and shredded carrots with apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- When done, shred the pork loin and stir shredded pork with BBQ sauce (add more if desired).
- Stuff sweet potato halves with prepared shredded pork and top with cabbage/carrot mixture and garnish with green onion.