Families everywhere, all over the world, love tacos. They’re tasty, convenient, and so easy to personalize. You can make them with or without meat or fish, add as many vegetables as you like (even beyond the usual lettuce, tomato, and avocado), and top with a wide variety of tasty salsas. Many families celebrate Taco Tuesday every single week.
With the popularity of this weekly “holiday,” do you always pick up prepackaged tortillas? That certainly makes it convenient, but making your own tortillas is surprisingly easy and fun. In fact, you can get the whole family involved. And when you make your own, you can add some special ingredients to make the whole recipe just a little bit healthier.
Here’s our favorite recipe:
Make Your Own Healthy Tortillas
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 scoop Keto Elevate
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, Keto Elevate, and cornmeal. Add baking powder and salt. Then mix together well. Stir in water to form a crumbly dough. Work dough with your hands until it holds together.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth. Divide dough into 10 to 12 pieces. Roll each into the shape of a ball. Cover lightly with beeswax paper, wax paper, or plastic wrap and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Flatten each piece of dough by hand. Then roll each ball into an eight- or nine-inch round circle.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease the hot pan, and place one tortilla at a time onto the pan. Cook tortilla until light brown (about one minute per side), turning to ensure equal browning.
- Repeat to make the remaining tortillas.
- Serve warm with your favorite taco fillings. (These are delicious and so easy, you may even decide to make them when it isn’t Taco Tuesday!)
Chef Tip: Want to try something different in your tacos this week? Give one of these Run for the Border Street Taco combinations a try!