With the football season kicking off, and fall weather in the air, it is the perfect time to dust off those slow-cookers and bring back tailgating foods! I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things to eat while watching football is chili. Not only is chili a super simple comfort food, the sky is really the limit for what you can include in your recipe.
While most recipes call for red meat (e.g., beef or venison) with darker colored beans in a tomato base, other types of chili opt for white meat (e.g., chicken or pork), and use lighter colored beans in a creamier base.
Today I have taken the best of both worlds and present to you my soon-to-be-famous sweet potato chicken chili recipe.
Sweet Potato Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (leftover turkey works great also)
- One 15-oz can black beans, not drained
- One 1-oz can pinto beans, not drained
- Two 15-oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsps chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsps cumin
- Chop sweet potato and chicken into 1-inch chunks.
- Place meat in slow cooker first.
- Then layer the sweet potatoes on top, followed by beans, tomatoes, veggies, garlic, and seasonings.
- Cook for 6 hours on low.
- Enjoy and serve with any desired toppings!
As I previously mentioned, you could throw in pretty much everything but the kitchen sink when creating chili. If you are looking for a lower carb option, you could eliminate one or both cans of beans; however, I personally don’t consider it chili without the beans. Call me old fashioned. 😉 And to be honest, the fiber that comes with the beans in this sweet potato chicken chili recipe is hard to beat.
Chef Tip: I like my chili to be spicy, so I usually throw some chili pepper flakes or hot sauce in the mix. Jalapenos would be a nice milder flavor as well.
Recipe yields 12 servings
- Calories: 364
- Total Fat: 2.8 g
- Total Carb: 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 14.4 g
- Protein: 29.8 g