The Best Crockpot Chicken Curry Recipe (you need to try)
Do you smell that? Fall is in the air, my friends. Football is in full swing, many of you have switched from iced coffee to hot coffee, and pumpkin spiced items have hit the shelves. With school back in session and schedules becoming more hectic with sports, activities, and PTA meetings, I am left with little to no time for making a healthy dinner for my family.
Enter the crockpot (and more specifically, my secret crockpot chicken curry recipe).
Dinner that literally cooks by itself while you are at work, school, or even at play? This is not a crock, but a dream come true. Crockery cooking is one of the best ways to minimize your time in the kitchen, yet still have a hot, homemade meal waiting for you when you get home.
Curry is a broad term used to describe dishes originating from the Indian subcontinent. Typically, these dishes contain a variety of spices, including hot peppers, and are served over rice. You could certainly opt for a lower carb side dish, but with this particular crockpot chicken curry recipe, I have found the rice offers a nice balance from the heat, and with its somewhat milder flavor, it complements the sauce better than other options.
The Best Crockpot Chicken Curry Recipe
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsps red curry paste
- 2 Tbsps fish sauce
- 3 Tbsps lime juice
- 2 Tbsps brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- Set crockpot to low heat.
- In the crockpot, whisk together sauce ingredients: coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot and sort of shimmy them into the sauce mixture.
- Cook in crockpot on LOW for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove chicken from the crockpot and cut into large, bite-sized chunks. Place back into the crockpot and give it a few stirs to coat each piece with sauce.
- Serve immediately over a bed of rice.
Chef tip: You can substitute tofu for chicken, and add additional vegetables if you are looking for a vegetarian option.
Chef tip: If I am serving this at a dinner party, I will usually sprinkle sliced green onions or even some chopped peanuts on top.
Chef tip: I have made this dish with chicken thighs, and it turned out very well. Chicken thighs have been known for retaining more moisture, and a bonus is that they are less expensive than chicken breasts.
Crockpot Chicken Curry Recipe Nutrition Facts:
Yields 6 servings
- Calories: 469
- Total Fat: 3.2 g
- Total Carbohydrate: 10.9 g
- Protein: 37.5 g
This Crockpot Chicken Curry Recipe provides so much flavor for such a short time commitment. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!